The Art of Breaking Free | Overcoming Constraints to Achieve Your Dreams

The Art of Breaking Free | Overcoming Constraints to Achieve Your Dreams


A Pakistani employee, who was residing in a house in America, narrated her story with tears in her eyes, describing how she came to America with her husband for better employment opportunities. 


Thousands of Pakistanis reside in America in pursuit of a better life. While they may attain financial stability, they often face various problems. However, the employee and her husband persevered and worked hard, eventually opening their own grocery store. Their circumstances improved so much that the wife stopped working and became occupied with household chores. Their sons were also studying in good schools. Suddenly, the husband married another woman without informing his wife, ultimately leading to divorce. One day, their son approached his mother and told her everything.


Do you know that Dad has gotten married again and given you a divorce?" Upon hearing this, the woman remained stunned. Upon investigation, it was revealed that her husband had indeed divorced her. When she protested with her husband, he threw her out of the house, leaving her helpless and she started cooking part-time meals for Pakistani households. When I saw this woman at my host's house, she was so unkempt and disheveled that she didn't look like an employee at all. She was so refined that I didn't want to hire her for any work. But her unemployment was a pressing issue and left me speechless. I asked her:


When he got married again, we needed help from the local administration as we had to go through half of the legal process here. With tears in his eyes, he said, "This person did not even give me enough time to inform the authorities. I am forced to take refuge in a separate Pakistani home with helpless and needy children. I was thrown out, and so were the children. These helpless children cannot earn anything. I work hard and do manual labor to educate them. As soon as they become capable, I will file a case against my husband and claim my share. My landlord is very supportive and willing to help me.


In reality, they have two young children whom I take care of in their absence. Both of them are employed and have promised to ensure my rights are upheld. While I am confident I will receive my rightful dues, the husband has already fled.


You are right in saying that it is better to be separated from such a husband. While you stood by me during difficult times, once things improved, he became content and you became forgotten. Such people should certainly face consequences.


Continue to appeal to your employer and file your case, but be aware that if it becomes an old matter, your grievances may not be heard. I will definitely pursue my case. If only I had been more vigilant with my husband, I would not have to face this today. When the store was doing well, an American woman pleaded with my husband for employment and began working with him. Before I knew it, they were married without my knowledge. Today, I am lamenting my misfortune. How can I return home with my head held high?


My heart was heavy with her sorrowful words. She was a helpless and forced woman, and who knows how many other women are oppressed like her.

Post a Comment

0 Comments